Friday, February 2, 2007

My weight loss experiments

On the 26th of June 2006, I felt uneasy about my heart beat.A visit to a Cardiologist's had me doing an ECG. The doctor advised me to go for a Lipid Profile and EKG. The very next these tests were done and the doctor's advice was that I must reduce my weight, and walk briskly for 45 minutes a day.
This I did religiously for the next 45 days. My wife pitched in by forcing me to reduce food intake to a third of what I ate daily. After 15 days my weight did drop by a modest 3Kgs. I weighed on the 26th June 95 Kgs. I stand 5ft 11in[178 cms] tall. My BMI was greater than the safe 25 on the Real Age BMI calculator. I was classified as moderately overweight. With this sudden reduction in food intake soon I had pangs of hunger which I fought successfully but was caught by a bout of hyper acidity. I was forced to increase my food intake. This gave a weight increase once again. My weight loss program was further interrupted by the frequent tours that I had to undertake. I stayed in hotels and ate customer's dinners, and before long my weight came back to what it was originally, 95 Kgs! Four months had passed by this time.

Things were going fine when, around November end some Insurance company started soliciting me for Home Loan Insurance. I thought this was a necessity, so I invited them to go ahead with an offer. Soon by the last week of December, I was asked to go for a medical examination, with the caveat that if anything was found amiss, there would be riders in the policy or an escalation in the premium. I was confident that nothing would be wrong. On 23rd December 2006 I went in for the medical examination. After collecting pre-and post prandial blood samples, I was asked to go for the TMT. The TMT reports were cause for concern.The doctor advised angiography citing irregular heart rhythm as the reason.

I had doubts on the veracity of the conclusions of the doctor and I thought I must go in for a paid TMT and EKG on my own at a different Lab. This I did the following Sunday i.e. 30-12-2007. This report was a revelation.The doctor of course reassured me that there was nothing alarming, but I must be on some prescription drugs, that need be taken for life. My heart sank. I hated medication.... for me drugs were something that one used to prolong life after 70.

The only consolation was the confirmation in the second opinion that I was not in a need for angioplasty.My suggestion to the medico that I will enforce a strict diet regimen, do some exercise did not impress. He simply asked me to go ahead with the prescription drugs and do whatever I thought was right on the diet and exercise part. for one thing, this drove home to me the need for strict diet control even on my tours. It strengthened my resolve to work out a serious program of weight reduction.

No comments: