Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A friend has my Sanskrit Blog read out..

It was a very interesting happening yesterday[13.04.2010] when my friend and colleague walked in to my cabin and had a chat with me expressly for arranging a talk by me on the coming Shankara Jayanthi[18th May 2010]. I happened to introduce my Sanskrit Blog to him. I discussed the structure, motive and the format of the Blog, and some other subjects of mutual interest to us.

Then I just read aloud for him my last Blog on summarizing the book, Megabrain. Apparently he had not read the English version though it was in our library for more than a decade now. He was thrilled about the revelations in the book. He did have his own doubts about the claims. Skepticism is the hallmark of a good Scientific Temper ain't it? But what gave me a pleasant surprise was as I read aloud the Sanskrit Blog he was able to get the meaning, without my having to translate, again confirming my hunch on the understandability of Sanskrit for an Indian even without formal training, if only he were just taught how to properly read! Earlier another colleague whom I had requested to visit the Blog had done that but had opined that the language used was rather "high" and "beyond comprehension". The difference between comprehension and beyond is a mere "right reading"? It might help me to check on this by trying a read aloud of this to the other colleague. That will serve to confirm my hunch.And give me a strategy for Sanskrit teaching.

No comments: